Thank-you messages have taken on a whole new meaning in these strange times. While it seems easier to send a quick email, text or WhatsApp message to your loved ones and the people you wish to thank, a handwritten thank-you note just says a lot more. Taking the time to write a thoughtful and personalised message showing your gratitude may not seem much, but you’d be surprised how it can make someone’s day.
Admittedly, finding the right words to write on paper can be difficult, even for the best wordsmiths. To help you get started, we’ve put together this step-by-step guide to wording your personalised thank-you greeting cards. We’ve even added some templates and ideas to inspire your designs.
Wording Your Personalised Thank-You Card
While many of us will want to write a note with a bit of flourish, don’t be afraid to keep things simple and sincere. A good rule of thumb is to use your relationship with the recipient as a guide for your wording.
Here are other pointers you can also follow:
- Start with a Greeting: When in doubt, open your card with “Dear”. If you are particularly close with the recipient, you can open with just their name or nickname. Either way, make sure you spell the person’s name correctly.
- Express Your Gratitude: Depending on your style, you can say “thank you” in all kinds of ways, such as:
- Thanks heaps, for coming through.
- Thanks a tonne!
- Thanks a million!
- I owe you one.
- You’re a real one. I appreciate you.
- I can’t even begin to thank you enough.
- Please accept my thanks.
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- I am thankful to have you in my life.
- I am thankful to count you as a friend.
- Words are not enough to convey my gratitude.
- Reference Specific Details: Don’t just say “thank you” and call it a day — anyone can do that. Personalise your thank-you card by referencing specific details about the person you’re writing to and why you’re expressing your thanks. What did they do to make you feel special? Is there a special occasion that compelled you to write and say thank you?
For instance, if you want to reach out to a nurse who took care of you when you were in hospital, you can write about how they made you feel safe.
- I was extremely lucky to have someone as kind and compassionate as you while I received treatment.
If you are a business owner writing a formal thank-you note to a supplier, you can write how you value their business and hope to continue your partnership with them.
- We sincerely appreciate your fast and efficient customer service and look forward to keeping you as a trusted supplier for the foreseeable future.
If you are close with the recipient, you can include inside jokes to make your note more personal.
- Thank you for always having my back since our days in uni and for not telling my mum about that time on the Tube.
- Write about Future Interactions: You can then write that you’re looking forward to the next time you see your card’s recipient. You can also inquire about anything important going on in their life or simply tell them that they’re in your thoughts.
- Say ‘Thank You’ Once More: As you wrap up your message, restate the reason for your note by adding other specific details to express your thanks. This also signals that your message is coming to an end.
- End Your Letter: At this point, you can end your note with your choice of farewell phrase, which, again, will depend on your recipient and the purpose of your letter. For more formal messages like a post-interview thank-you note, choose a professional farewell phrase such as:
- Thanking you,
- Yours sincerely,
- Best regards,
More personal messages can end with:
- See you later!
- Take care of yourself, (particularly relevant today)
- All the best,
- Thinking of you,
Thank-You Greeting Card Design Samples
If you need some design inspiration for your personalised thank-you cards, here are some examples and templates to help you get off on the right foot.
Thank-You Cards for Your Veterinarian
These two Canva-based designs are great for sending to your pet’s favourite veterinarian.
Source: Little Lovelies
Source: Little Lovelies
This festive thank-you card from Allison of Little Lovelies features a cute handmade banner glued on kraft cardstock. To get this look, we recommend using our A5 Card Blanks made from recycled brown kraft paper and our A4 Card and Paper sample pack.
Flamingo Thank-You Card
Source: Living Locurto
Get all the supplies you need for your personalised thank-you cards at The Paperbox. Explore our collection of greeting card supplies, card blanks, envelopes and accessories to see what we have to offer. Be sure to follow us on our socials — Facebook and Instagram — so you don’t miss out on news and updates on offers and new additions to our product line.
Shop now and get free UK shipping on all orders over £3.50.